Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Eve

Some things I forgot to mention in the last post:
- Surprisingly they don't sell Sanucks in Indonesia. Thats what we had gone to the Grand Indonesian to look for.
- I had my first bout of homesickness before we went shopping.
- I felt sick when we got back from the mall and decided to have a nap.
My order of events wasn't 100% accurate in the last post but just ignore that.


After a rejuvenating nap, Mel woke me up around 7:00PM and we went downstairs for dinner and a show. Dinner was sandwiches: ham, corned beef, chicken, and egg salad; and beef stew. Wati, Dave’s wife, dished us all a bowl, me a smaller portion than the rest because I was still feeling nauseous, and we sat down in the cinema room to watch “Warrior”. I didn’t eat any of the sandwiches or much of the stew either, just broth mostly, but it was really good. Dave is from Ireland and the stew recipe was his mom's, that lady knows how to make stew!

Fireworks started filling the sky around 10:00pm and lasted until after 12:00am. It was amazing! It seemed like everyone in Jakarta was lighting off fireworks, especially along the harbour. We had some fireworks of our own as well, and the first one they tried lighting off exploded. Dave planted the firework in a flowerpot and Nile lit it. It started off ok, until fire started shooting out the end and I thought the plant was going to catch on fire, and then it exploded. Luckily I was able to get the whole thing on video. After that the guys figured out they had to let the stick go with the firework and the rest exploded in the air like they were supposed to. Just before midnight Ling and Wati started handing out horns in the shape of trumpets and dragons. 

We had about four different watches going so we didn’t really know which one was right so we just sort of started making noise with the first one and continued until the last watch said midnight. Not long after that Mel and I went to bed. Fredrick and Fabian came stumbling in probably around 4:30 or 5:00. Joe said that she went to bed around 3:30 and the party was still going on so I’m sort of guessing at the times. 








No comments:

Post a Comment